Saturday, February 23, 2019

A Lesson in Perspective

During a recovery run at Ocean Beach yesterday I stopped to say hi to Albert whom I often see walking on the same path that extends from the base of the Cliff House Hill to the SF Zoo. Albert, who is originally from Tibet, is one of those souls embodying peace and good cheer so he was quick to inquire about my well being, asking how long I was running that day and how I was feeling. I answered by giving him a detailed description of my latest race where I had experienced a hamstring injury from which I was attempting to recover. After this lengthy recitation, it was finally my turn to ask him how he was doing. With a beaming smile, he said that he was feeling much better now that he recently had completed the final chemotherapy session in a long series of treatments. He then happily exposed a six to eight inch scar just below his clavicle to illustrate the site of the affected area, saying: 'much better now'. We then clasped hands, wished each other well, and I said that I would keep a good thought for him. He responded with thanks and a smile of gratitude. As we parted ways, it was I who was grateful to this courageous and gentle survivor for providing valuable perspective on the range of life experiences our fellow travelers experience and endure. So the next time I begin to complain about this or that annoyance, perhaps a better choice will be to think about Albert and be properly thankful for the gifts and blessings already in my possession.

No comments:

Post a Comment