Friday, November 2, 2018

My America

Please join me as we visit a not atypical day spent in San Francisco....

Yesterday, while attempting to hoist into the back of the Subaru a 150lbs. box containing an appliance set for return to the dealer, two strangers (City workers from a job site across the street) came over offering assistance and promptly lifted the 'bad boy' safely into the vehicle and then said that they were happy to help me upstairs with the new box after I made the exchange...one guy was Hispanic; the other was African-American. I gave thanks with handshakes and a farewell wave.

While at the dealership, I was guided through the appliance exchange process by a delightful Asian-American woman (Alex) who took special care while assuming personal responsibility to ensure that the exchange was conducted seamlessly to my satisfaction. We said goodbye with a hug of appreciation.

Back in the neighborhood, I was greeted at my favorite coffeehouse by three of my favorite counter staff: Crystal who is Asian-American; Claudia, from Barcelona; and Nissian who is from Mongolia. Laughter and good natured banter accompanied the delivery of my latte and croissant as we shared our day's experience.

The next stop was the local Safeway where I was soon engaged in a lively discussion about the latest Warrior victory with the produce guy Dave (African-American) and store manager Randy (Asian-American) as we stood in a circle completely absorbed in conversation and oblivious to the world around us.

This is the America I know...where the concept of 'the other' does not exist; where we gather in friendship, with mutual interest, in assistance to each other, with laughter and goodwill, with an open and fearless heart, and finally with an unspoken awareness that we are united in this very precious moment by our common, shared, and glorious humanity.

No comments:

Post a Comment