Tuesday, January 9, 2018

Preserving Friendship In The Age Of Trump

At a recent political forum, one of the participants cautioned that we should not allow differences of opinion to ruin otherwise important relationships and to resist hate in favor of love. This sincere and well intentioned statement did resonate with me as I am often impressed and surprised by the ongoing connection I continue to enjoy with many people with whom I disagree (R's and D's alike). A lingering question remains as to the exact nature of the viewpoint, values, and/or vision for America that Donald Trump represented which impelled so many to place their trust in him. I am genuinely curious about this. I suspect that a common answer will involve some version of the 'unacceptably of the alternative' narrative which accompanied my previous inquires with some of the aforementioned friends. It's likely that Clinton voters (many of whom were reluctant supporters) would also offer a similar argument and also would include the criteria of competency, governmental experience, and intellect to justify their preference.

I did not support either candidate because of differences on a wide range of issues as well as personal preference. That said, it must be confessed that if I had resided in an contested swing state, my vote would have been cast in favor of effectively maintaining a status quo with which I had frequently and, at times, vehemently disagreed in order to avoid the chaos which was believed would occur by choosing someone I felt was wholly unqualified and temperamentally unfit for the job in question. Through it all and to this day, I have earnestly and respectfully questioned the decision of the chums who helped place the current president into office. My hope is that the country will mirror the survival of my valued friendships as we collectively attempt to navigate these troubled waters.

No comments:

Post a Comment